Sunday, March 2, 2008

Hitchcock: the beginning of the end of an original idea


As I watched through the three Hitchcock films and the various clips from his other movies, I couldn’t help but feel a strong sense of déjà vu. I felt as though I had seen many of the same story lines and plot devices used before. Lady stabbed in the shower…that one looks familiar. Birds attack… I’ve seen that one before in cartoons. Then it occurred to me that my timeline was incorrect and Hitchcock was the one who came up with these ideas in the first place. I never made the connection before, but now that I’ve seen some of his movies, I’m starting to notice how great an influence Alfred Hitchcock had on the film world. His mark can be seen in many modern day cartoons, TV shows, and movies (some of which are just remakes of his films). Hitchcock was the master of suspense and those techniques he invented to tell his stories are still being used today.

No comments: