Sunday, March 2, 2008

Alfred Hitchcock


Over dramatized characters? ... Ah who isn’t in that business?

If it weren’t for the TIMELY stunning BLONDE women in these films I don’t know how else Hitchcock would have gotten away with such portrayal of a woman. Kidding (Sorta!), Alfred had some pretty interesting ideas of what role women played in a relationship but just a curious question? What did Alfred really see or expect from women…Did he have bad obsessive women all over him or did he just fantasize about women who would change for the man or were these his ideals of the perfect woman? Maybe not intended, but, the characters in Rear Window and Vertigo were a bit pathetic! Not that they were perfectly pathetic (not in the bad way entirely). I believe these films would not be as enjoyable today if it weren’t for lines like:

Judy: If I let you change me, will that do it? If I do what you tell me, will you love me?
Scottie: Yes. Yes.
Judy: All right. All right then, I'll do it. I don't care anymore about me.

I mean is she not on her knees or what! But I guess I’m not from times like those so who am I to talk about the norms and expectations/pressures women were under then.

I also have another suspicion… what kind of drug influence did Alfred Hitchcock experience while/prior to making Vertigo. Seriously! I mean my best guess- he was apart of the California crowd (considering Vertigo did premiere in San Francisco). We are entering the early 60’s where marijuana hasn’t quiet yet hit the masses like they did during Woodstock. And cocaine, heroin was very popular during the break of the 60’s. When you look at other famous people in California, during that time, you will notice a definite drug influence. For instance look at Ray Charles: definite drug community. Just my thought that possibly Vertigo was ‘another’ little experiment that Alfred had that influenced his visual presentation in this specific film! No disrespect, just maybe this is the origin of some of the scenes from Vertigo.


-Jennifer

No comments: