Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Movie, My Musical, My Fun


I don’t think people can truly appreciate the “art of film” until they try making a movie themselves. Thanks to various school assignments I think most students have at least participated in a movie project. Unfortunately, movie assignments from school are rarely much fun because they’re too structured and must actually be (gulp) educational. But that should not deter people from making movies for their own enjoyment. You’ll find that when you unleash you’re creativity, there’s no shortage of good ideas for making movies. To show you what I mean, and to maybe work up some hype for myself, I’m using this journal as the first preview of my latest project: The Michael Vick Musical.

For those of you that don’t know (click here for more info), Michael Vick was the starting quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons. He is currently due to go on trial this winter for various charges of animal cruelty. Vick had been sponsoring and competing in dog fights at his house. Since then, he has lost all of his sponsorships, he has been suspended indefinitely from the NFL, and odds are he’s going to be sent to prison.

The musical I’m making is meant to capture the pain of the Falcons’ fans caused by the Michael Vick scandal. It’s the story of two hardcore fans and how they deal with the disappointment of lost dreams and a fallen “hero”. Vick will not be cast into the movie, but we will ceaselessly make fun of him.

Now although I’m calling this a musical, I’m not writing a full score of music for the movie. I’m using a mix of popular sad songs and playing those over the movie (whether or not that’s exactly legal…). Some of them will be lip synced and some of them will be used to capture the mood of the scene. The list is as follows:

Bad Day by Daniel Powter
Far Away by Nickelback
So Long, So Long by Dashboard Confessional
Hemorrhage (In My Hands) by Fuel
Better That We Break by Maroon 5
Stab My Back by All-American Rejects
How To Save A Life by The Fray
Everybody Hurts by R.E.M.
Love Hurts by Nazareth
Hide And Seek by Imogen Heap

Most of these songs are really recycled, have been overplayed, and are washed up. However, that’s exactly the look I’m going for.

So far I’ve finished editing the last scene of the movie. I still have to film the whole beginning… It’s a fun movie and I’ve been able to shape it the way I want it without having to fulfill any grading requirements. If you’re reading this and are interested, the movie will probably make its way to YouTube once everything is finished.

3 comments:

Rohan said...

why did michael vick do it? because he was high.

(11:11:16 PM) Tom Melton: i was going to play football
(11:11:18 PM) Tom Melton: but then i got high
(11:11:21 PM) Tom Melton: i was going to win a ring
(11:11:24 PM) Tom Melton: but then i got high
(11:11:27 PM) Tom Melton: now im out of a job, and i know
(11:11:30 PM) Tom Melton: know why
(11:11:32 PM) Tom Melton: why man?
(11:11:33 PM) Tom Melton: because i got high
(11:11:36 PM) Tom Melton: becuase i got high
(11:11:41 PM) Tom Melton: because i got hi-igh....
(11:11:48 PM) Tom Melton: i was going to let the dogs live
(11:11:50 PM) Tom Melton: but then i got high
(11:12:00 PM) Tom Melton: i was going to go the straight and narrow
(11:12:02 PM) Tom Melton: but then i got high
(11:12:08 PM) Tom Melton: now im gonna go to jail, and i know why
(11:12:10 PM) Tom Melton: why man?
(11:12:13 PM) Tom Melton: because i got high
(11:12:15 PM) Tom Melton: because i got high
(11:12:18 PM) Tom Melton: because i got hi-igh...
(11:12:19 PM) Tom Melton: lol

Maggie B said...

Your movie sounds very funny and I can't wait to see it! I liked how you explianed it and also told what songs will be in it.

Preston said...

Dude...honestly...I just...wow...
not really sure how i feel about a musical dedicated to the life of a football player. it just seems a little...i dunno...dumb?? haha. but what do i know. maybe it'll be the best musical of the year (maybe it'll beat out phantom of the opera???)or maybe it'll crash and burn. can't really say for sure...

~PSH